Driftless Education & Visitor Center
The Friends of Pool 9 (FOP9) Board of Directors met at the Driftless Area Education & Visitor Center.
President Baugher called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM. Directors in attendance were, Natalie Baugher,
Bob Henkel, Larry Quamme, Bruce Revoir, John Mitchell, Bob Seeley, Jerry Boardman, John Verdon, Sue
English, and Joe Mazanec. Also attending was, Tom Limbach, Don Thran, Ric Zarwell and Brandon Jones
Approve Minutes – 4/9/2018 – On motion by John V., second by Joe, the minutes were approved as
Refuge Centennial Project Up-Date –Ric informed the board that he was working on funding the
project and plans included contacting corporations and municipal organizations. He passed out the new
brochure which has been developed. The projected cost is $70,000 based on half text and half photos. If
the funds are not raised the book will not be produced. Discussion needs to occur, if that should happen,
as to the disposition of funds collected.
Approve Financial Report – Larry provided copies of the 1/1/18 to 5/14/2018 financials. The ITC
donation of $4,000, received from ITC at the luncheon earlier in the day, was recognized and
appreciated. Total income for the period is $9,025.62, total expenses $9,379.74. As of 5/14/2018
$48,099.13 is deposited in the checking/savings account. On motion by Jerry, second, by John, the
report was approved.
Correspondence – The dedication of the new Interpretive Center at the Fish Hatchery is scheduled for
June 1, at 10am. The FOP9 was invited. Geoffrey Haskett, President of the NWRA sent a thank you
letter for the $500 donation. Tom Goettel, a board member of the NWRA also sent a thank you note.
MRAD – Jerry indicated that the schools were set for the September 12, 2018 and planning would be
River Clean-Up – Bob S. reported that the clean-up went very well. 136 volunteers were involved
and 11,000 pounds of debris had been collected and disposed into the dumpsters. Natalie reported that a
volunteer was interested in making a quilt from clean-up T shirts. Shirts will be collected.
Newsletter – John V. reported that final articles would be submitted and the newsletter was ready for
printing and distribution.
Annual Meeting – Natalie reminded directors of the need to secure good items for the auction and
she should be notified of the items and they should be taken to Al. Also, a request was made that people
send an email about contributors so others did not approach the same people/businesses. It was decided
that 750 raffle tickets would be printed and 3 cash prizes awarded. The prizes will bev$500, $300, and
$200. Ticket prices will be $10 each, 3 for $20, or 8 for $50.
Beach Projects – John will set up some beach work later in the year involving spraying and clearing
of debris. Brandon will be contacted prior to any work. .
Website Enhancement –Larry and John M. met with a vendor who will be furnishing a proposal.
Window Prints –Bruce reported on getting quotes for the FOP9 logo window prints. Clear ones would
cost $417 for 1,000, and white ones would be $303 for 1,000. After discussion Joe moved that 1,000 of
each be purchased and with a second by Jerry, the motion was approved. Bruce will handle the order.
Winneshiek Landing Day – Jerry indicated that he would be participating with a booth and the FOP9
will set up next to him on 6/30/18. He will get helpers. The De Soto Lion’s Cub, sponsor of the event,
requested consideration of a $200 donation. On motion by John, second by Bruce, a $200 donation will
be sent to the Club.
Kayak/Canoe Events – Lansing Main Street Matters is sponsoring 3 trips in June, July & August. They
had asked the FOP9 to have safety boats in front and behind the groups. The members expressed
concern about liability and rendering aid is a participant should have medical needs. Natalie will follow-
up and indicate FOP9 concerns and suggest 1 st Responders would be more suitable.
FUM Onalaska Fisheries Request – The FUM will be operating a book/gift store in the new
Interpretive Center and asked for volunteer help from FOP9 members. John will place an article in the
newsletter asking members to consider volunteering at that center as well as the Driftless center in
Canoe Trail Marking – Bob S. reported that as soon as the flood waters recede, fixing and marking the
trail would get completed.
FWS Items -
Brandon reported that the contract for the Conway Lake has not been awarded. He indicated that
plans, for developing a project to revamp the Reno Bottoms area, is ongoing. Flood water has
prevented all other river work.
Membership Software – Larry indicated that the concept is being discussed with the website
FOP9 STORAGE – Bruce reported that the new storage units, in Lansing, has been offered to the
FOP9 for $250 a year. The unit size would be 8x8. Others indicated that the area may not handle our
needs. Brandon indicated that he will check on the entrance door condition at the current warehouse and
also we can move the desk and FWS items out of the storage unit. The item was tabled for future
Eagle Nest Count – Jerry indicated that he completed the survey. 121/171 active nests are in the
pool which represents 30 more active nests than in 2016. He suggested that we do another survey in 2
Face book – Larry indicated that Jackie Cooper, who had volunteered to keep the FOP9 Face book
page up dated, has left for a new job. The website development may involve Facebook as well and the
items was tabled. The need will be on her own time as a donation. Larry is following up with her.
Bridge Meeting – The Iowa DOT is holding another public meeting on replacing the Blackhawk
Bridge on May 15 th at the high school in Lansing.
Next Board Meeting – July 16, 2018
ADJOURN – On motion by Jerry, second by Bob H., Natalie adjourned the meeting at 8:00pm.
Larry Quamme, Secretary