Driftless Education & Visitor Center
The Friends of Pool 9 (FOP9) Board of Directors met at the Driftless Area Education & Visitor Center. President Baugher called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM. Directors in attendance were, Natalie Baugher, Bob Henkel, Bruce Revoir, John Mitchell, Bob Seeley, Jerry Boardman, John Verdon, Sue English, Joe Mazanec, and Darrin Thran. Also attending, Brandon Jones, Mark Schneden and Don Thran.
Sabrina Chandler - Was not in attendance, will try to come to the next meeting.
Approve Minutes – 5/14/2018 – On motion by Jerry, second by Joe, the minutes were approved as written.
Financial Report – Larry provided copies of the financial report for the period January through June, 2018. The bank balance at the end of June was $46,955.65. On motion by Bruce, second by Bob S., the reports were approved.
Correspondence Received – John read a letter to the Board from Ric Zarwell relating his health issues at the present time and the possible impact this could have on the "100 year Century of the Refuge" book Ric is trying to organize. The letter is on file with the Secretary. Jerry Boardman also related his upcoming aneurism surgery and its impact on his availability to FOP9. We are hopeful and pray that both of these fine men recover completely and continue to work for a better Pool 9. Addendum: John has visited with Tom Limbach, who broke a bone in his leg and will not be available for months as well.
MRAD – John, Jerry, and Bob S. reported that plans have begun to involve both Lansing and De Soto students in three activities to be held at The Driftless Center, Black Hawk Park, and Genoa National Fish Hatchery. The event will take place on September 12 and all expenses of school transportation, driver pay, and lunches will be paid by FOP9. We will need to provide 8 canoes or 2-person kayaks to be transported to Green Lake at Black Hawk Park. More info later.
Annual Meeting – Natalie stressed that we still need items for the silent auction, as well as a larger item or two to auction off (such as a Paddleboard or a Kayak). Darrin will check to see if Cabela's/Bass Pro will make us a deal. Jerry reported that Raffle ticket sales are going well and that he has 103 left. If all are sold we stand to profit about $4,000. Natalie is still in need of more T-shirts for the quilt, give her your old shirts.
Beach Projects – Brandon approved the on-going spraying of poison ivy on the beaches. John will send a "call" to the Work Group by an email to meet at Big Slough Landing at 9:00 AM on Wednesday, July 25 for a day of cleaning and spraying beaches. Mark S. said he would mow around the Will Dilg Memorial on Hwy 82, Winneshiek Landing. Joe reported there has been no progress on the Conway Lake Project but that it may be too late to begin any work in 2018.
Website Enhancement – Larry had provided all members with info regarding the plan to up-grade our website and the costs involved. Following a lengthy discussion John M. moved and Bob S. seconded the motion. The motion carried and Brian Stoll will be paid $2,600 to set up the site, and Host the site for an additional $90/month for one year; and $50 per month after the first year. John reported that he had received a call from Genoa National Fish Hatchery and Nathan Eckert with regards to having the GNFH newsletter on our website, the request was tabled to the next meeting.
Lansing Fish Days – Bob S., John M., and Sue reported that things are being organized for Saturday, Aug. 11. Sue will need help transporting and set-up of tables and tents at the Fest Grounds on Saturday morning, Bob H. and John V. will help her. Sue will also recruit others to help and work shifts. John M. will help with tear down and transport back to storage at 5:00 PM on Saturday. John M. has contacted the IA. DNR for the fish truck, and will contact GNFH for a mussel display. Both displays will be in the area of the FOP9 tent and sales. Brandon will talk with Hallie (FWS) about attending for the day.
Winneshiek Landing Day – Sue, Jerry, and John M. reported it was very hot, but they had good sales of items ($355) and recruitment of 5 new members during the event.
Eastman UMC Bible School Event – John V., Jerry, and Mark will attend the half hour presentation to children on Tuesday, Aug. 7 to tell them about the Mississippi River and FOP9. The group would like to do something for the river, and has asked about constructing "fishing line recycling boxes" from PVC pipe. FOP9 is willing to assist and pay for the boxes.
Warehouse Work Day - Sue needs help organizing items at the FWS storage building. Set Tuesday, July 31, 9:00 AM as a work day, needs volunteers to help.
Remove Village Creek Donation Box - With work to begin at Village Creek Landing in early August Bob S. has agreed to remove the donation box and relocate it to Winneshiek Landing or De Soto.
Donation to Kids Fishing Tourneys - Motion by John M., second by Bob S. to give $300 to both the Kids Fishing Tourney in Lansing and the Kids Fishing Tourney at Black Hawk Park. Motion carried.
FWS Items Reported by Brandon
Tree Planting Issues – With the water so high for such an extended period of time Brandon feels few young trees will survive because of being covered with water and the lack of photosynthesis. He is hopeful they will be able to plant more trees but time will tell. FWS will start a Harpers Slough aquatic vegetation study shortly. And they will be attending Refuge-wide meetings in La Crosse. Timber sales along the north side of the Upper Iowa River (out from Hwy 26) will be pushed back to next year and the Whalen tract north of New Albin is also partially submerged, but the Minnesota DNR has 5 years to complete that project. Mark raised the question of the future of the Cold Springs landing. Discussion followed but there was no action taken at this time.
Window Stickers – Bruce reported that he had received the stickers and the first printing was not what he had ordered, so the company agreed to do them again as per his original request. The cost is $.33 per sticker. The company also sold the previous print to Bruce and FOP9 at a very reduced price ($100). They are free to all members and will be handed out at the Annual Meeting, and are also handed out at the Driftless Center.
Next Board Meeting – August 20 at the Driftless Education Center at 6:30pm.
ADJOURN – On motion the meeting was adjourned at 8:30 pm.
John Verdon, Sec.-Pro Tem
Larry Quamme, Secretary