March 19, 2018 - 6:30PM
Driftless Education & Visitor Center
The Friends of Pool 9 (FOP9) Board of Directors met at the Driftless Area Education & Visitor Center. President Baugher called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM. Directors in attendance were, Natalie Baugher, Bob Henkel, Larry Quamme, Bruce Revoir, John Mitchell, Bob Seeley, Jerry Boardman, John Verdon, Sue English, Joe Mazanec, Lisa Welsh, Darrin Thran, and Al Wuennecke. . Also attending was Tom Limbach.
Approve Minutes – 10/30/2017 – On motion by John V., second by Jerry, the minutes were approved as written.
Financial Report – Larry provided copies of the financial report for the period 1/1/17 to 12/31/2017 and reviewed the information. Total income for the year was $40,586.228 and expenses $29,017.93. As of 12/31/2017, the bank balance for checking/savings was $48,453.25. Also provided were the financials from 1/1/2018 to 3/12/2018 noting income of $2,288.39, with expenses of $2,375.50. The bank balance on 3/12/18 was $48,366.14. On motion by Sue, second by Joe, the reports were approved.
Dairyland Donation – Larry reported that unfortunately bad weather prevented the visit from Brad but he presented a check for $1,000 from his company to Larry. A thank you letter was sent noting the Board’s appreciation.
Daniel J. Brennan Trust – Larry reported that the Brennan family donated 20 shares of stock to the FOP9 with a value of $1,451.00 on 12/18/2017. A letter of thanks and information for IRS purposes was sent. After discussion, Bob S. moved, with a second from John M. to sell the stock and add the funds to the FOP9 treasury.
Refuge Centennial Project Up-Date – Larry provided a memo from Ric Zarwell along with a draft Promotional Flyer for review and comments from Board members. After discussion, members wanted to review the materials and had some questions. On motion by Larry, second by Bob S. the item was tabled until the next meeting on April 9, 2018.
NWRA 2018 Donation – The board reviewed past donation amounts and on motion by Jerry, second by John V, approved a donation of $500.00 for 2018.
MRAD – After discussion, the event will be moved to September 12, 2018 and Lisa and Jerry will check with the schools for approval and participation and will report back at the April meeting.
River Clean-Up – Bob S. distributed all of the assignments and has made all of the needed arrangements for the event on April 21, 2018. Larry will handle distribution of the postcard mailing announcement with Jackson Street Press for mailing shortly after Easter.
By-Laws Up-Date – Larry reported that the committee would be John M., Bob S., Bruce and himself. The committee will review and provide suggestions to the Board later in the year and the approved changes would be presented to the annual meeting attendees for approval.
Newsletter – John V. will be completing the 1st 2018 Otter’s Tale after the clean-up and in early May.
Annual Meeting – Natalie presented a new format with assignments to many different people and that each Board Member will secure items for the silent and live auctions. Al indicated that items could be brought to him and he will arrange storage in the basement of the Community Center in New Albin. She also suggested a list of ideas for members to contact for donations. A raffle was discussed and the suggestion of “cash prizes” was suggested with reduced prices on tickets. The board felt that a liquor license should be obtained. Natalie will follow-up with Mike at Milty’s and report back at the April meeting.
Beach Projects – Natalie reported that she had talked with Brandon in regards to making contact with the USACOE on obtaining beach sand. Joe gave an up-date on the Conway Lake bidding issues and the fact that sand would be removed from the bowl near where we wish to do beach enrichment. Tom will be planning beach work similar to last year.
Clothing Inventory/Ordering – Sue reported on sales and making another clothing order. She indicated that a display of some sort would be helpful at a booth where clothing sales occur. On motion by John V, second by Joe, she was given approval to purchase a rack. She also indicated that the Driftless Center had suggested direct purchasing of clothes using the FOP9 logo. After discussion and differing ideas, she will follow up for more information and the issue was tabled to the April meeting.
Website Enhancement –After discussion Larry will follow up with the volunteer who was interested in designing a new website.
Eagle Day – Larry distributed a thank you, to the FOP9, from the Ferryville Tourism Council and a report on a very successful day with over 450 people attending. He also distributed a photo of the banner the FOP9 cost shared to develop for the event and future events.
Winneshiek Landing Day – Information was sent to the FOP9 that the date of 6/30/18 has been selected. A booth for information and clothing sales was discussed. Jerry will follow up and get more information and report back at the April meeting.
Sportsman’s Show – New Albin – Sue is heading up a booth for the show being held on March 23 & 24th. Several volunteers will be helping. She passed around a sign-up sheet for a couple shifts still open and needing a volunteer.
FWS Items -
Cold Springs Landing Issues – A discussion involving Brandon’s request for FOP9 setting up and paying for dredging the launch area involved many ideas. Larry indicated that he had talked with Brandon who felt there were 3 options: dredging the immediate area for launching but transporting the material from the site would be required; developing a new launch North of the island and therefore away from the creek entry; or the FWS would have to return the launch to a shallow boat/high water landing as they have no funding. It was decided that Natalie will talk with Brandon about cooperative efforts on projects.
Membership Software – Larry indicated that larger Friends Groups had invested in software that provided a data base for membership and the ability to communicate via email with many geographic options. After discussion, the board approved obtaining information/quotes for available systems and review at a future board meeting.
ITC Visit – Larry reported that Dan would like to visit a board meeting. After discussion, Larry will invite the ITC folks to the May meeting.
Eagle Nest Count – Jerry suggested that the FOP9 do an eagle nest count being the FWS has discontinued the project. He, and some other FOP9 members, will secure maps and complete a count.
Next Board Meetings – April 9 and May 14, 2018 were selected for future meetings and they will be at the Driftless Education Center at 6:30pm. The reservations have been made for the lower level meeting area.
ADJOURN – On motion by Lisa, second by Sue, Natalie adjourned the meeting at 8:55pm.
Larry Quamme, Secretary