The Friends of Pool 9 (FOP9) Board of Directors met at the Driftless Area Education & Visitor Center. President Baugher called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM. Directors in attendance were, Natalie Baugher, Bob Henkel, Larry Quamme, Bruce Revoir, John Mitchell, Bob Seeley, Jerry Boardman, John Verdon, Sue English, and Joe Mazanec. Also attending was, Tom Limbach, Don Thran, Mark Schneden and Wendy Woyczik (FWS).
Approve Minutes – 3/19/2018 – On motion by John V., second by Bob S., the minutes were approved as written.
Refuge Centennial Project Up-Date – Larry provided information from Ric Zarwell who reported that the FOP9 would not have any obligation for the cost of the proposed book, unless the Board chose to contribute. Bruce also reported on a conversation with Ric. Input on the draft brochure will be forwarded to Ric.
MRAD – Larry indicated that Lisa had talked with her school officials and the date is on their school calendar. Jerry reported that De Soto is also on board and the event should be planned for September 12, 2018.
River Clean-Up – Bob S. reported that final plans are in the works and the food has been ordered. It was noted that the post cards had been developed and mailed to all members.
Newsletter – John V. will be completing the 1st 2018 Otter’s Tale after the clean-up and in May.
Annual Meeting – Natalie reported that she is working with people and establishing committees. Directors were reminded of the need to secure good items for the auction. She indicated that some gift cards would be accepted but the emphasis was on donated items. Larry will check on state regulations for the raffle.
Beach Projects – Tom indicated that he had spent some time reviewing the memo provided to the FOP9 from Brandon and the materials from activities in 2006. It appears that there is a slim chance of obtaining sand and using sand for beach enrichment. Many thoughts were offered during an extended discussion. Natalie appointed a committee to follow-up and includes Tom, John Mitchell, Joe Mazanec and Larry.
Clothing Inventory/Ordering – Larry reported that a written agreement had been reached with the Driftless Area Education and Visitor Center to order and sell FOP9 approved clothing items. They will direct order from Riverland Expressions and pay directly on any invoices. Any new proposed clothing items would require FOP9 Board approval. The agreement is on file and signed by Natalie and Jim Janett. Sue provided a report on the cost of clothing and selling prices. Selling prices were established for Tank Top items, Hooded Sweatshirts and Short Sleeve Dress Shirts and approved by motion of John V. and second by Joe. On motion by Sue, second by Joe, the selling prices for all items, was approved. Sue indicated a complete inventory of FOP9 items would is planned in the near future. After discussion, Bruce was appointed to follow-up on obtaining “FOP9 Logo” stickers for glass and windshields due to interest by several people.
Website Enhancement –After discussion Larry will investigate the use of company/person to develop a new FOP9 website and report back to the Board.
Winneshiek Landing Day – Information was sent to the FOP9 that the date of 6/30/18 has been selected. Jerry was unable to connect with anyone on the committee regarding FOP9 participation. The item was tabled to the May meeting.
Sportsman’s Show – New Albin – Sue reported that snow conditions in the area reduced the attendance. However, $278 of clothing was sold and other items were ordered. She will consider participation next year but only on Saturday.
2018 Porta Potties – Larry reported that he obtained quotes from 5 companies. Prices range from $90 monthly to $125. Hackett’s quoted $90, same price as last year. No units will be placed at Village Creek due to construction plans by the Iowa DNR. The need for a unit at the Winneshiek Boat Landing was discussed. Wendy indicated she would talk with Brandon for a location. On motion by John M., second by Sue, Hackett’s will provide the service and Winneshiek will be included. Bob S. and John will arrange signage for donations.
FWS Items -
Wendy reported that the contract for the Conway Lake has not been awarded. The Corps is also planning a dedication of the Harper’s project sometime this summer. Wendy indicated that plans for developing a project to revamp the Reno Bottoms area is awaiting approval. Tree planting near New Albin is also being reviewed and planned. Lastly, she clarified the Earth Days email sent out by Hallie Rasmussen, the Customer Services Manager in the La Crosse District. The Prairie du Chien Rotary Club had expressed interest in doing a project and it was decided to do additional tree planning on Island L, in the Harper’s Project. She indicated that a limited number of signups from the Rotary Club would leave room for other volunteers. The FWS and Corps are providing boats for 30 people. Staffing levels were discussed and Wendy pointed out that the Customer Services Manager, in our district, had been eliminated and the position transferred to the La Crosse District. Wendy will suggest that Hallie be invited to a meeting of the FOP9.
Membership Software – Larry indicated that initial quotes for software created “sticker shock”. More quotes will be obtained in the coming months.
ITC Visit – Larry reported that Dan and others were planning to attend the May 14th meeting. Larry will follow-up with Dan for details.
Eagle Nest Count – John indicated that maps had been provided to each of the people volunteering to complete the count. Wendy will provide a few GPS units.
Face book – Bob S. and Larry reported that Jackie Cooper had volunteered to keep the FOP9 Face book page up dated on her own time as a donation. Larry is following up with her.
Reports – Larry indicated the 2017 IRS Form 990-N has been filed, the 2017 Iowa Gambling Report has been filed, and the sales tax of $245.00 paid for the 2017 FOP9 Raffle.
Next Board Meetings – May 14, 2018 Details for the meeting involving the ITC staff will be worked out.
ADJOURN – On motion by Jerry, second by Bob H., Natalie adjourned the meeting at 8:02pm.
Larry Quamme, Secretary