May 11, 2021 - 7:00PM
Driftless Education & Visitor Center
The Friends of Pool 9 (FOP9) Board of Directors met at the Driftless Area Education & Visitor Center. President Alex called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM. Directors in attendance were, Larry Quamme, Jerry Boardman, John Verdon, Bruce ReVoir, Alex Galema, Bob Henkel, Joe Mazanec, Darrin Thran, Sue English, and Kevin Quillin. Also attending Wendy Woyczik from USFWS.
Approve Minutes – 03/16/21 – On motion by John, second by Joe, the minutes were approved as written.
Financial Report – Larry indicated that the FOP9 laptop experienced a hard disk crash but all information was restored from backups. Two bills had been paid, $390.32 to the Village Farm and Home for gloves & bags used in the river clean-up and $132.50 to Siebring Enterprise for the disk replacement. Eric donated hours that his employee spent recovering the data and programs.
Correspondence – A letter of appreciation and thank you was received from the De Soto Schools for the scholarship funding. A support document was sent to the Wisconsin legislature supporting the bill to allow people to cross railroad tracks for recreational purposes.
Scholarship Report – Bruce indicated that two 4-year scholarships had been awarded at Kee High School but COVID issues at the school, prevented him from attending. Mandi Boardman presented the 5 scholarships at the De Soto High School. John will obtain the names and photos for the newsletter.
Printing Contractor – John reported that the Jackson Street Press had been sold to Rapid Printers on 1/1/21. He indicated that he had been in contact with Brad Schwickerath, President of the company who indicated they would print the newsletter but the charity discount would be lowered. On motion by John, second by Bob, the Board approved using the new company.
USFWS Information –
- Reno Bottoms Project – Wendy stated that the Corps had been on site and had been given the information solicited from the FOP9 members. The project is in the very early stages of developing plans towards saving trees dying from high water.
- Pool 8 Carp Removal – Wendy indicated that 34 silver carp had been caught and samples of other fish noted good volumes.
- Audit - Wendy indicated that the final rules on the Friend’s Group data reporting was nearing final approval.
- District Manager – Applications had closed and interviews were in process to replace Brandon Jones.
No Wake Zone – Alex reported that anchors had been completed and sign designs were set. An application for a permit to place the signs at both ends was being completed and submitted to the City of Lansing for council action. Some comments of concern had bee received by board members and it was pointed out that only 300 feet from the shoreline was designated as the no wake zone. A question of FOP9 ownership of the buoys and being hit and boat damage was discussed. Larry pointed out that the FOP9 liability insurance company was aware of the project.
2021 Annual Meeting – The Board favors proceeding with plans for the meeting. The by-laws set the meeting for the 4th weekend in September which is the 25th this year. The board committee is Larry, Mike, Sue, John V. and Jerry. The board will sponsor a raffle with 1,500 tickets (prizes 2 - $500, 1 - $300 1- $200)
River Clean-Up – About 100 people participated this year and 12,160 pounds of debris was placed in the dumpsters. No issues were reported.
Great River Road House 50/50 Donation – The board had approved the program offered by Josh Petzel that a pizza of the month was being offered for the month of May and 50% of the sales would be shared with the FOP9.
Other Items –
- 2021 Spring Newsletter – John will head up the newsletter production and will be produced in June.
- Fish Days – Lansing Fish days are planned for August 13,14,15. John will contact Iowa DNR for the fish trailer exhibit and Sue will arrange for volunteers to sell clothing. Board member help will be needed for setting up the stand. FOP9 activities are only planned for the 14th.
- Porta Potties – Potties were delivered on May 1 at Lynxville, De Soto, Winneshiek, Big Slough and Army Road. Larry will set up the donation box at Big Slough.
NEXT BOARD MEETING – The Board scheduled the next meeting for Tuesday, July 13 2021.
ADJOURN – On motion by Bob, second by Kevin, the meeting adjourned at 8:20pm.
Larry Quamme, Secretary